Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Sterilization

If a guardian seeks sterilization of their ward, N.C. Gen. Stat. § 35A-1245(c) provides that “If the ward is unable to comprehend the nature of the proposed procedure and its consequences and is unable to provide an informed consent, the clerk shall appoint an attorney to represent the ward in accordance with rules adopted by the Office of Indigent Defense Services.”

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no