Immigrant Children - Cases
F.L.B. v. Lynch (formerly J.E.F.M. v. Holder), No. 2:14-cv-01026 (W.D. Wash. 2014)
Complaint available at http://legalactioncenter.org/sites/default/files/Counsel%20Complaint.pdf.
American Immigration Council press release available at http://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/newsroom/release/groups-sue-federal-government-over-failure-provide-legal-representation-children.
ACLU Immigrant Rights Project blog post available at https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/children-shouldnt-be-left-alone-immigration-court.
- Martha Bellisle, Lawyers: Children have a 'constitutional right' to an attorney in immigration court, Associated Press (Mar. 24, 2016), available at http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawyers-children-lawyers-immigration-court-37909721.
- Venice Buhain, Tentative Proposal in Children's Lawsuit for Right to Counsel in Deportation Cases, Seattle Globalist (Apr. 21, 2016), available at http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2016/04/21/children-representation-immigration-court/49725.
- John Burnett, For Kids In Immigration Court, Legal Counsel Is Catch As Catch Can, NPR (July 9, 2014), available at http://www.npr.org/2014/07/09/330180259/for-kids-in-immigration-court-legal-counsel-is-catch-as-catch-can.
- Mike Carter, Thousands of Children Added to Suit Against Immigration Policy That Denies Them Attorneys, Seattle Times (June 27, 2016), available at http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/thousands-of-children-added-to-lawsuit-against-immigration-policy-that-denies-them-attorneys/.
- Mark DiPaola, Child Migrant Suit Seeks Right to Counsel, New Haven Beat (Sept. 20, 2015), available at https://newhavenbeat.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/child-migrant-suit-seeks-right-to-counsel/.
- Margaret Drew, Trending Toward SCOTUS: Immigration Courts Encourage Pro Se Toddlers, Human Rights at Home Blog (Mar. 15, 2016), available at http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/human_rights/2016/03/trending-toward-scotus-immigration-court-encourages-pro-se-toddlers.html.
- Christian Farias & Elise Foley, The Courthouse Door is Shut to Immigrant Children Who Need Lawyers, Huffington Post (Sept. 21, 2016), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/immigrant-children-lawyers-9th-circuit_us_57e2e872e4b0e80b1ba000a0.
- Elise Foley, Groups Sue Government for Putting Children in Immigration Proceedings Without Counsel, Huffington Post (July 9, 2014), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/09/children-immigration_n_5570545.html.
- Richard Gonzales, U.S. Appeals Court Rejects Class Action Lawsuit Filed By Immigrant Kids, NPR (Sept. 20, 2016), available at http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/20/494788619/appeals-court-rejects-immigrant-kids-class-action-lawsuit.
- Tricia Gorman, Immigrant Children Ask Judge to Halt Deportation Proceedings, Thomson Reuters Blog (Aug. 27, 2014), available at http://blog.thomsonreuters.com/index.php/immigrant-children-ask-judge-to-halt-deportation-hearings/.
- Eric M. Johnson, Children Facing Deportation from U.S. Have Right to Attorneys, Lawsuit Argues, Reuters (Mar. 25, 2016), available at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-idUSKCN0WR068.
- Gene Johnson, Appeals Court Rejects Lawsuit Over Lawyers for Immigrant Kids, Seattle Times (Sept. 20, 2016), available at http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/appeals-court-rejects-class-action-over-lawyers-for-immigrant-kids/.
- Risa Kaufman, (In)Justice for Migrant Children, Human Rights at Home Blog (Mar. 16, 2016), available at http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/human_rights/2016/03/injustice-for-migrant-children.html.
- Lorelei Laird, 9th Circuit Rejects Bid for Lawyers for Child Immigrants But Calls for a Change in the Law, ABA Journal (Sept. 21, 2016), available at http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/9th_circuit_rejects_bid_for_lawyers_for_child_immigrants_but_calls_for_a_ch?utm_content=buffer7b21d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer.
- Kate Linthicum and Molly Hennessy-Fiske, U.S. Sued For Not Providing Attorneys to Children in Immigration Court, Los Angeles Times (July 9, 2014), available athttp://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-children-immigration-court-20140709-story.html.
- Jerry Markon, Former Judges Challenge Official Who Said 3-Year Olds Can Represent Selves in Immigration Court, Washington Post (Mar. 15, 2016), available at https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/former-judges-challenge-official-who-said-three-year-olds-can-represent-themselves-in-immigration-court/2016/03/15/d9cb0538-eaaf-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html.
- David Rogers, Child Migrants Lose Major Case in Federal Court, Politico (Sept. 20, 2016), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/child-migrants-immigration-228432.
- David Rogers, Court Fight Seeks Lawyers For Child Migrants, Politico (Aug. 1, 2014), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/immigration-children-preliminary-injunction-doj-109627.html.
- David Rogers, Court Order Revives Child Migrant Battle, Politico (Apr. 19, 2016), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/child-migrants-immigration-asylum-222166.
- David Rogers, Court Win for Immigrant-Rights Attorneys, Politico (Apr. 13, 2015), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/court-win-for-immigrant-rights-attorneys-116940.html.
- David Rogers, Lawyerless Child Migrants Caught in Legal Quagmire, Politico (July 14, 2016), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/child-migrants-legal-issues-225513.
- David Rogers, Migrants' Right to Counsel Argued, Politico (Sept. 3, 2014), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/migrants-right-to-counsel-argued-110583.html.
- David Rogers, Top Appeals Court to Take Up Landmark Child Migrant Case, Politico (June 28, 2016), available at http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/child-migrant-case-appeals-court-224897.
- Fernanda Santos, It's Children Against Lawyers in Immigration Court, NY Times (Aug. 20, 2016), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/us/in-immigration-court-children-must-serve-as-their-own-lawyers.html?_r=1.
- AJ Vicens, Migrant Kids Need a Good Lawyer. But Who's Gonna Pay?, Mother Jones (July 9, 2014), available at http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/unaccompanied-children-lawsuit.