Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Incarceration for Fees/Fines (incomplete)

If a warrant is issued for the collection of fines, then the proceeding is governed by 2947.14(D), which states, “No person shall be ordered to be committed to a jail or workhouse or otherwise be held in custody in satisfaction of a fine imposed as the whole or a part of a sentence except as provided in this section.”   Thus, this statute is the only means by which a municipality could jail an individual for failure to pay fines and fees.  Then, R.C. 120.16(A)(1) states, “The county public defender shall provide legal representation to indigent adults and juveniles who are charged with the commission of an offense or act that is a violation of a state statute and for which the penalty or any possible adjudication includes the potential loss of liberty."

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no