Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Truancy - Petition Against Child

Pursuant to Haw. Rev. Stat. § 571-11(2)(C), truancy matters in Hawaii are under the exclusive original jurisdiction of the family court, and such matters are treated as status offensesSee Haw. Rev. Stat. § 571-2 and In re Doe, 22 P.3d 987 (Haw. Ct. App. 1999). 


Under Haw. Rev. Stat. § 571-87(a), found within the general provisions covering family court matters, there is right to appointed counsel upon request for indigent persons. ("When it appears to a judge that a person requesting the appointment of counsel satisfies the requirements of chapter 802 for determination of indigency, ... the judge shall appoint counsel ... to represent the person at all stages of the proceedings, including appeal, if any.").

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no