Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Truancy - Petition Against Child

In Idaho, truancy can be treated either as a status offense (pursuant to Idaho Code § 20-516(1)(c)) or as a dependency matter (pursuant to Idaho Code § 16-1602(31)(d)).  If the former, the child has a right to appointed counsel if indigent pursuant to Idaho Code § 20-514(1)(a), whereas for the latter, Idaho Code § 16-1614(2)(a) specifies that the court must appoint counsel regardless of indigence for a child 12 or older, while 16-1614(2)(a) specifies that the court may appoint counsel for a child under 12 (and must appoint a guardian ad litem).

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: yes