Discretionary appointment of counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Child Support Establishment

The court may appoint counsel for “an unmarried 18-year-old child with respect to post-majority support while the child is actively pursuing a high school diploma or an equivalent level of technical or vocational training and living as a dependent with a parent or guardian or a designee of the parent or guardian.”  Alaska Stat. § 25.24.310(a).  The parties must notify the court that child support is at issue, and "[u]pon notification, the court shall determine whether the [18-year-old] child should have legal representation or other services[.]"  Id.

Appointment of Counsel: discretionary Qualified: no