NY civil legal aid hearings invoke right to counsel
01/01/2013, Court Rule or Initiative, All Basic Human Needs
At hearings convened by NY Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman, advocates testified about the civil access to justice crisis and civil right to counsel. More information is below, including some material from Judge Lippman.
- John Eligon, In Hearings, a Campaign for Legal Aid in Civil Cases, New York Times (Sept. 28, 2010), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/nyregion/29civil.html.
- William Glaberson, Top New York Judge Urges Greater Legal Rights for the Poor, New York Times (May 3, 2010), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/nyregion/04court.html.
- Jonathan Lippman, New York's Template to Address the Crisis in Civil Legal Services, 7 Harv. L. & Pol'y Rev. 13 (Winter 2013).
- Jonathan Lippman, Remarks at the Central Synagogue on Lexington Ave. in New York City: "Justice, Justice, Shall You Pursue:" The Chief Judge's Perspective on Justice and Jewish Values (Feb. 5, 2010).
- Casey Seiler, Extending the Right to Counsel: Hearings Focus on Right to Representation in Civil Court, Times Union (Sept. 14, 2010), available at http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Extending-the-right-to-counsel-657201.php.
- WCNY New York, The Capital Pressroom (Sept. 27, 2009).
- Dan Wiessner, Chief Judge Announces New Foreclosure Court Part in State of Judiciary Speech, Thomson Reuters (Feb. 14, 2012).