Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Adult Protective Proceedings - Protected Person (incomplete)

Counsel must be provided to any indigent, incapacitated adult in a protective placement hearing.  NMSA 1978, § 27-7-27(A)(2) ("the adult has the right to counsel whether or not the adult is present at the hearing. If the adult is indigent, the court shall appoint counsel no later than the time of the filing of the petition.")

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no