Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Civil Commitment - Subject of Petition

Wash. Rev. Code § 71.05.360(5)(b) and Wash. Rev. Code § 71.05.300(2) require the appointment of counsel for indigent persons in civil commitment proceedings before and at the probable cause hearing. If a minor is being committed, the parents have a right to appointed counsel if they oppose the commitment and they are indigent, as per Wash. Rev. Code § 71.34.740(5). Wash. Rev. Code § 71.34.710(3) extends the right to counsel to minors subject to commitment.


Wash. Rev. Code § 70.96A.140(9) and Wash. Rev. Code § 70.96B.090(5)(a) provide a right to counsel for indigent persons commitments due to alcohol and substance abuse, respectively, and provide that the court can appoint counsel even if the person is not indigent.

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no