Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Abuse/Neglect/Dependency - Accused Parents

Okla. Stat. tit. 10A, § 1-4-306(A)(1)(a) states:


If a parent or legal guardian of the child requests an attorney and is found to be indigent, counsel may be appointed by the court at the emergency custody hearing and shall be appointed if a petition has been filed alleging that the child is a deprived child; provided, that the court may appoint counsel without such request, if it deems representation by counsel necessary to protect the interest of the parent, legal guardian, or custodian.….


See also Okla. Stat. tit. 10A, § 1-2-105(B)(4)(a) (where investigation of parent alleged to have abused/neglected child seeks behavioral health records, court must appoint counsel at records hearing if subject of behavioral records is indigent).

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: yes