Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Abuse/Neglect/Dependency - Children

33 V.S.A. § 5112(a) states, "The court shall appoint an attorney for a child who is a party to a proceeding brought under the juvenile judicial proceedings chapters."  Dependency proceedings are part of juvenile judicial proceedings, as per 33 V.S.A. § 5102(14), and a child is a "party" to a dependency proceeding as per 33 VSA 5102(22). See also Vt. R. Fam. P Rule 6(b) ("In proceedings under 33 V.S.A. Chapter[] … 53 [children in need of care of supervision], the court shall assign counsel pursuant to Administrative Order No. 32 to represent the child unless counsel has been retained by that person.")

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no